All For HIM Marketing Solutions Inc.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Too Personal, Too Fast.

My brother and I are in the marketing business together and one of his accounts is experiencing an interesting situation between their on-line marketing campaign and their website.

It seems company "A" feels their new on-line marketing campaign is not working due to the receipt of exactly zero new customers from the web.  Sounds logical, right?  Well, the cool thing about Internet marketing is that it's completely track able.  The numbers show that every week, company "A" shows up on thousands of searches and receives numerous new visits to their site. 

In an effort to diffuse the situation, my brother (Rusty) combed through the site with his customer to find the problem.  Rusty had already done this and found the site to be information packed, organized, entertaining, and easy to navigate.  This site was ideal for prompting a customer to contact the business.  However, what Rusty had never done before is actually try to contact the company on-line.  When he tried it this time, a simple form popped up to be filled out.  Pretty standard, right?  Nope.  One of the required fields asked for his social security number.  What?  I haven't even decided I want to buy from you.  I'm trying to find out your price.  And, you want my social security number?  While I'm at it, here's my debit card number and pin access code.

Many people may read this and think "what an idiot" but, do you try to get too much commitment too soon from your potential clients.  Do you go to the cell phone store and fill out the waiting list form?  Most include an email field.  To which I think, I don't want your emails every week.  I'm interested in buying a phone today, isn't that enough.  Many times when trying to view things such as pricing or when trying to contact a business on-line you will be asked to create a user name and password.  This is to try and create a sense of "buy-in" or "commitment".  However, in your own business, you might want to make sure you're not getting the steps out of order.  

Company "A" was asking it's customers for their hand in marriage before they'd even been on a first date.  Where are you getting too personal, too fast?

JC

No comments: